Tuesday, November 9, 2010
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
Monday, November 1, 2010
Friday, October 15, 2010
I have been dying with Pimatex by Kaufman. I like the finish, and it takes the dye well, but it is a very dense fabric and multiple layers can be difficult to sew through. I dug out my mothers box of thimbles and put one to use when sewing a binding made from this fabric. I have a full bolt of Pimatex and 5 yards of Hoffmans PFD , and I ordered some chiffon scarves so next time I want to spend some dyeing time I am ready. I borrowed a Pullens Pleater from a friend which I plan to use to pleat some fabric and have it ready to go. If it works well, I will get a pleater of my own, but I am thinking that the pleats will be too regular and that hand sewn pleats might be more interesting. We shall see.
I have dyed about 60 scarves as well as the cotton fabric. I figure that if I sell the scarves, it finances my study with dyes.
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
Thursday, October 7, 2010
Thursday, September 23, 2010
Friday, September 10, 2010
22" x 42"
Monday, August 30, 2010
|A closeup of the blooms and the beaded buds at the top of the stalk.|
Friday, July 16, 2010
Monday, June 21, 2010
Friday, June 18, 2010
Tuesday, June 8, 2010
I found this fascinating quote today:
It is time to drum up awareness of my upcoming Joggles class! Barbara at Joogles and I are giving away one free spot in my Let's Exchange some Art Class, which starts in just two short weeks.melanietesta.com, Online class give away., Jun 2010
You should read the whole article.
Monday, May 31, 2010
Sunday, May 30, 2010
I started this quilt last Fall, thinking I would complete it for my daughter, Ingrid, for Christmas. The background was pieced and quilted, and I actually had all of the components laid out on the design wall. I knew that I wanted to do the buds on top of the stalk with beads. This is an early summer fireweed-they bloom from the bottom. by the end of summer, the blossoms are at the top and the lower part of the plant has begun to go to seed. Anyway, I had many other projects that I was trying to complete for Christmas, and I didn't want to rush the process with this one so I put it away for a while. then I spent January and February making little valentine quilts for my loved ones, March took me to Anchorage for the Alaska Fiberfest. When I got home, I needed to get quilts ready for the Whale Fest Art Show and the Crab Festival Art Show. I was really procrastinating. I had gotten so far from the quilt that I didn't know where to start.
This morning I got everything out and got to work. Here you can see my background stalks fused and sewn to the quilt. Each flower will eventually have a bead in the center. Then, I sewed on the foreground stems, and started to sew on the leaves but after I broke two needles, it was time to quit for the day. The leaves are made of tulle, and I have yoyo style blossoms with bead pistils and stamens. When I make pieces like this, the back is a mess. I want the quilting to be the first layer, then I put on the fused pieces, and finally the forground pieces which will be 3-D. Anyway there is alot of thread! I put a false back in the piece to cover up the mess and quilt in the ditch with invisible thread to hold the back to the front anywhere that I reasonable can. How much more quilting does it need at this point? My quilts hang straight and square so my process must be adequate. This quilt will have three lines of quilting at the top on the checkerboard section which is below the hanging sleeve which helps with the stability of the hanging sleeve. I will post an update when I get the rest of the fireweed sewn on. I still don't have a clear vision of the beaded buds, but it will come to me as I work.
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Dancing Lady is 24" x 24". I made the jelly fish by sandwiching watersoluble stabilizer(Solvey)and some unfused angelina fiber, for a little sparkle, between layers of tulle which were then place in a hoop, then free motion stitched. The tenacles are made from handdyed ribbon yarn, which are loosely stitched on, and strands of beads.
"Square Dancers" is 21.5" x 27". The jelly fish are made the same as for Dancing Lady. The quilting isn't very visable in this photo, but I love the texture I achieved. It was the first time I have used wool batting, which contributes to the great texture.
"Rockfish in the Kelp Patch" is 21.5" x 27". The rockfish were made in a similar fashion to the jelly fish but made using orange organza. Seaweed is made from various couched fibers. The seaweed in the borders is pieced in using Carol Taylor's technique of sensuous lines. In the picture above you can see a closeup of the fish.