The three pieces on the left in this picture were wrapped on a piece of rope. The ladies in the marine supply store, at first thoought it was strange that I asked for 2' of various thicknesses of rope, but were very interested when i told them how I was using it-fellow quiltmakers. The piece on the right was wraped on a pole, held in place with rubber bands. I have used string and rubberbands. String gets a finer effect, but rubber band are so much easier.
The two blue pieces in this picture were selvage to selvage quarter yards, wrapped on poles diagonally with rubber bands. I wanted the same texture in two colors. the middle piece is greener than it appears. I am happy. I think the brown piece will make awesome leaves-the vein lines are already there.
I have been dying with Pimatex by Kaufman. I like the finish, and it takes the dye well, but it is a very dense fabric and multiple layers can be difficult to sew through. I dug out my mothers box of thimbles and put one to use when sewing a binding made from this fabric. I have a full bolt of Pimatex and 5 yards of Hoffmans PFD , and I ordered some chiffon scarves so next time I want to spend some dyeing time I am ready. I borrowed a Pullens Pleater from a friend which I plan to use to pleat some fabric and have it ready to go. If it works well, I will get a pleater of my own, but I am thinking that the pleats will be too regular and that hand sewn pleats might be more interesting. We shall see.
I have dyed about 60 scarves as well as the cotton fabric. I figure that if I sell the scarves, it finances my study with dyes.