This is a post about what I have completed since the first of the year. I usually have several pieces going at any moment, and I tend to wait until I have a few pieces to quilt before I switch the machine over. Even if I practice before I start on a quilt, I find that my stitching gets better if I do several in succession. My intent was to enter them in the Crab Festival Art Show, but here I sit with no way to deliver them, or pick them up on Sunday, so they will wait for another day to be shown in public, but I will show them here. I broke my ankle a month ago, and although I expected to be on the mend by now, that is not the case, and I am still not able to drive.
14" x 12 1/2"
20" x 15"
This is the first of these King Crab quilts that I started. I tried a few different settings for the border squares before I finally settled on this. I wanted to have room for quilting on the border. You can see the quilting in the close-up picture that follows.
34 1/2" x 19 1/2"
|Three Kings closeup|
There are two red quilts in this batch of work. I was just having too much fun with the rich reds, and I probably overcut as I often do when i am working on a strip piece. The idea was to put cross strips in as I built the strip pieced fabric.
23 3/4" x 16 1/2"
I am still stuck in the red zone with this next piece but it is the accent fabric. On this piece the goal was to build the stripped fabric around the prints-very improvisationally. There were a few times that the plan shifted-to get it all sewn together.
24 1/2 x 34"
34 3/4 x 13 1/2
I faced both of the red quilts, rather than applying borders as I normally do. It is a good option that I have never before utilized. Sometimes you want that extra bit of color that the binding can provide, but as these pieces show, sometimes you don't.